Heart of Iowa Communications
Heart of Iowa Educational Grant
Each Spring Heart of Iowa Communications Cooperative offers
area high school seniors residing in a home with Heart of Iowa
service the chance to win a $500 Scholarship to be used to
continue their education at an accredited college, university
or vocational-technical school of their choice. To date
Heart of Iowa has awarded more than $134,000 to students
in rural Central Iowa.
- Participants must submit an electronic or handwritten application to the business office of the Heart of Iowa Communications Cooperative on or before Monday, April 2, 2018 by 4:30 pm. The application must state which college or vocational school the applicant plans to attend. He/she must list all extracurricular activities he/she has been involved in during his/her high school years. This list shall include school sponsored, community and church activities.
- Parents or guardians of the educational grant applicant must have had Heart of Iowa Communications dial tone (voice) service for at least six (6) months before the date of this notification and applicant must be living with said parent or guardian in one of the Cooperative districts or Ventures exchanges listed below.
- Participants must be going on to either a two or four year-accredited college or an accredited vocational school.
- Participants must be a senior in good standing in both the school and community.
- Participants must furnish a transcript of their grades along with the application.
- If Educational Grant recipient fails to complete at least one year of school he/she must repay to the Cooperative the $500 Educational Grant they were awarded.
- All applicants must submit a head & shoulder ONLY senior photograph with their application.
Heart of Iowa Communications Cooperative District Definitions:
I District No. One is the area served by that part of the Union/Whitten Exchange west of Highway S75 and that part of the
Eldora Exchange which is west of S75 which turns into Z Ave up to the Steamboat Rock Exchange and all areas east of Highway
S62 to the Eldora city limits and from east of V Ave starting at Highway 175 north to the Steamboat Rock Exchange.
II District No. Two is the area within the corporate city limits of Eldora.
III District No. Three is the area served by the New Providence Exchange and part of the Eldora Exchange which extends west
and northwest of the corporate city limits to the exchange boundary and runs south and north of Highway 175 to the exchange
boundary excluding the area within the Eldora city limits plus the Steamboat Rock Exchange.
IV District No. Four is the area served by the Liscomb Exchange and that part of the Conrad Exchange, which is west of Highway 14 and that part of the Union Exchange which is east of Highway S75 and that part of the Eldora Exchange which is east of Highway S75 which turns into Z Ave up to the Steamboat Rock Exchange.
V District No. Five is the area served by the Albion Exchange.
VI District No. Six is the area served by the Green Mountain Exchange and that part of the Conrad Exchange, which is east of J Ave.and north of 320th Street and east of Highway 14.
VII District No. Seven is area served by the Haverhill, Ferguson and Laurel Exchanges.
VIII District No. Eight is that part of the Conrad Exchange east of Highway 14 and south of 320th Street and west of J Ave.
Heart of Iowa Ventures, LLC is the area served by the Marshalltown, LeGrand and Gladbrook Exchanges.
Please Note: Should you need further assistance with explanation of the defined Districts listed above, please contact Jenny Pekarek at Heart of Iowa Communications Cooperative at 641∙486∙2211 or email: email@example.com
Application Deadline April 2, 2018
Foundation for Rural Service Scholarship
The Foundation for Rural Service (FRS), in cooperation with
NTCA–The Rural Broadband Association, seeks to sustain
and enhance the quality of life in America by advancing an
understanding of rural issues. Through its various programs
and initiatives, FRS strongly supports the continuing
education of rural youth.
Each applicant must:
• Be a graduating high school senior.
• Be a United States citizen.
• Be sponsored by a current NTCA–The Rural Broadband Association member.
• Be accepted by an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school.
• Have at least a C grade point average (GPA).
• Express an interest to return to a rural community following graduation.
Must be postmarked by March 1, 2018
Please click on the below link to the electronic file for the application.
Aureon Network Services Scholarship Program
The Aureon Network Services Scholarship Program is available to students pursuing a STEM-related course of study and those residing in the trade area of an Iowa Independent Telecommunications Company. The application deadline is midnight March1, 2018.
All students meeting the eligibility requirements and submitting a complete application will be considered. Applicants must have a minimum 3.33 grade point average (GPA) and be a high school junior or graduating senior within the 2017-2018 school year. The profile of the scholarship winners varies based on the applicant pool. Scholarship awards will range between $500-$1,000.
- A resident of Iowa and live in the trade area of an Iowa Independent Telecommunications Company.
- Iowa high school junior or graduating senior in the 2017-2018 school year.
- A citizen or permanent resident of the United States or one of its official territories.
- Accepted by an Iowa-based accredited four-year college or university, community college, or vocational-technical school and be pursuing a STEM–related course of study.
- Have a minimum 3.33 GPA. A copy of a recent transcript may be requested.
- Relatives of those employed by the Independent Telephone Companies or Aureon are not eligible.
- Complete a scholarship application in full including the following:
– A short essay describing why you are pursuing a STEM-related field (1,000 characters or less).
– A summary of their high school and community service activities, including leadership roles (500 characters or less).
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarship awards will be announced after all submissions have been reviewed. Winners will be notified by phone, email, or letter.